In my part of the world, the coldest days of winter have arrived. This is a wonderful time to cozy up with a blanket and a hot drink to listen — really listen — to music.
Take at least 30 minutes to listen to music that allows you to feel God’s presence in the present moment. Of course, adding music to chores elevates the experience. But many of us have music in the background so much that we fail to enjoy the experience.
You can create your own playlist. Or just search “Contemplative Prayer” on Spotify to find good playlists.
“A Guide to Practicing God’s Presence” by Kenneth Boa and Jenny Abel (which you can download for free here) also lists music to consider.
Hymns and Choruses
- Be Still, My Soul
- Be Thou My Vision
- Before the Throne of God Above
- Blessed Assurance
- Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
- Give Me Jesus
- Great Is Thy Faithfulness
- How Great Thou Art
- In Christ Alone
- It Is Well With My Soul
- Canon in D – Pachelbel
- Adagio in G Minor for Strings and Organ – Albinoni
- The Four Seasons – Vivaldi
- Messiah – Handel
- Water Music – Handel
- Mass in B Minor – Bach
- Brandenburg Concertos – Bach
- Double Concerto in D Minor for Two Violins – Bach
- Requiem – Mozart
- Symphony No. 40 – Mozart
- Piano Concerto No. 21 – Mozart
- Symphonies 5, 7 and 9 – Beethoven
- Piano Concerto No. 2 – Rachmaninoff