The best way to start your day is to practice the presence of Jesus as you wake up in bed. Here are five quick ways to bring Christian mindfulness to the first minutes of your morning.
- Choose a gentle alarm clock. For decades, I woke up to the sound of ocean waves in a sunrise simulation alarm clock similar to this one.
- Once your eyes are open, say: “This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.”
- Breathe deeply: In to the count of three. Hold for the count of four. Exhale for the count of five. Do this as needed until you feel centered, thanking God for the gift of breath.
- If you are sleeping beside a spouse, a child or even a pet, pray a prayer of gratitude for them.
- Listen to the sounds of the house and the world outside. Again thank God for the new day.